|This article is under construction.
The article or section is currently in the middle of expansion or major revamping. This tag should not be removed unless the author is done. Information should not be considered fully accurate until the tag is removed. You can help by contributing to it.
Abortion is the the removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy. In today's culture, it is considered controversial especially since Roe v. Wade. Pope John Paul II himself called abortion "gravely immoral". Proponents of abortion call themselves pro-choice; opponents consider themselves as pro-life.
1. Suction Aspiration: This is the procedure most often used in the first trimester of pregnancy (the first three months). The abortionist inserts a suction tube (similar to a vacuum hose with an extremely sharp end) into the mother's womb. The suction and cutting edge dismember the baby while the hose sucks the body parts into a collection bottle.
2. Dilation and Curettage (D & C): In this procedure, the abortionist uses a loop shaped knife to cut the baby into pieces and scrape the uterine wall. The baby's body parts are then removed and checked to make sure that no pieces were left in the mother's womb.
3. Dilation and Evacuation (D & E): This form of abortion is used to kill babies in the second trimester (24+ weeks). The abortionist uses a forceps to grab parts of the baby (arms and legs) and then tears the baby apart. The baby's head must be crushed in order to remove it because the skull bone has hardened by this stage in the baby's growth.
4. Dilation and Extraction (also known as D & X or Partial-Birth Abortion): Used to kill babies well into the third trimester (as late as 32 weeks old), the abortionist reaches into the mother's womb, grabs the baby's feet with a forceps and pulls the baby out of the mother, except for the head. The abortionist then jams a pair of scissors into the back of the baby's head and spreads the scissors apart to make a hole in the baby's skull. The abortionist removes the scissors and sticks a suction tube into the skull to suck the baby's brain out. The forceps are then used to crush the baby's head and the abortionist pulls the baby's body out the rest of the way.
5. Salt Poisoning: This technique is used in the second and third trimester. The abortionist sticks a long needle into the mother's womb. The needle contains salt which is then injected into the amniotic fluid surrounding the baby. The baby breathes in, swallows the salt and dies from salt poisoning, dehydration, brain hemorrhage and convulsions. Taking nearly an hour to die, the baby's skin is completely burned, turns red and deteriorates. The baby is in pain the entire time. The mother goes into labor 24 - 48 hours later and delivers a dead baby.
6. Prostaglandins: Used during the second and third trimester, prostaglandin abortions involve the injection of naturally produced hormones into the amniotic sac, causing violent premature labor. During these convulsions the baby is often crushed to death or is born too early to have any chance of surviving.
7. Hysterotomy: Performed in the third trimester, this is basically an abortive Cesarean section (C-section). The abortionist makes in an incision in the mother's abdomen and removes the baby. The baby is then either placed to the side to die or is killed by the abortionist or nurse.
Biological information Edit
When a sperm fertilizes an ovum, a zygote is created. Calling the zygote a fertilized egg would be a misnomer; both the sperm and the ovum cease to exist as the new entity is created. There is a 10600 chance that the same zygote will be reproduced by two different sperm and ovum. For comparison purposes, there is only 1080 atoms in the known universe.
Biblical evidence Edit
The Bible does not condone abortion. Passages that indicate so are as followed.
"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" (Exodus 21:22-24).
"Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me" (Psalms 51:5).
"And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb" (Luke 1:41).== References ==
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Abortion. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Theology Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|